Monday, January 24, 2011

A History of Reading 125 - 223

    After reading this section of Manguel's book, "A History of Reading," I found several things to be quite fascinating.  Honestly, I would have to say one of the most interesting parts I found in this section was the history of the shape of the book.  As a nut for both reading and history, this section was practically made for me!  (Joking of course!)  However, I think that it was incredibly interesting that the shape of the book has evolved to fit the purposes of the reader.  How a book could transform from the tablets of the Mesopotamian people, to the scrolls of papyrus of other ancient civilizations, and to the parchment codex that rose from the desire of a multi-paged book.
    Another aspect of this section of "A History of Reading" that was interesting to me is how people of the past had a thirst for reading, so much so that they invented new ways to make reading possible.  It's hard for me to imagine, as a member of today's society, to believe that someone invented a chair to make reading easier.  It amazes me that there was such a need, a desire for books that someone invented a printing press to make mass production of books a possibility.
    I guess I would have to say that my overall feelings after reading this section of text are that of desire as well.  I honestly wish that society felt this yearning and desire for books to a point that they would go to great extents to fulfill those desires.  I am well aware that there are some people in our society, English majors, that have this need to read; however, I truly wish that our society, as a whole, would share in our strange addiction.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. I think that a modern equivalent to our society going to great lengths to make reading easier is the Amazon Kindle and other similar devices. It may take the smell and texture of a book away, but it adds the ability to store thousands of books into one lightweight device. It definitely is an attempt to kill off the printing press but, as you said, there have been many adaptations made in the evolution of the book and maybe they are all to be embraced so our pleasure while reading can grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas, I can't believe you mentioned the smell!! I cannot read a book without smelling it over and over again. Especially older ones. I would do it without thought and sometimes would wonder if someone saw me and what they thought. I wish to acquire a Kindle but have been putting it off for that very reason. But we must evolve and streamline to compete with society. Therefore, one day I will invent the Smindle. A Kindle that smells like a book...

    ReplyDelete