Monday, January 31, 2011

Orwell "Politics and the English Language"

    In George Orwell's essay, "Politics and the English Language," I believe he brings up some important points.   However, there are some things that he talks about that I do not agree with.  First, I do not believe that our language is declining.  I think that language changes and morphs to reflect the current society that is using it.  For example, the word disrespect was not used a generation ago as a verb.  Now, our generation uses this word as a verb all of the time.  I would not say that it is a butchering of the word, the usage of it has simply changed over time.  There are words that we use now that our children will use in a different way than we currently use it.
    However, I do agree with Orwell's argument that the writing of our society today is declining.  I feel that it is unacceptable that a student can graduate from high school and he is not able to write an error free paper.  I do feel as though that today's youth (I'm afraid that I can not exclude myself from the group) rely so heavily on predetermined phrases they have heard before.  Orwell says "if one gets rid of these habits one can think more clearly."  However, I think that one must think clearly in order to rid his writing of these habits.  And so the argument commences, which comes first?
    On a totally different note, I enjoyed the examples he outlined of common mistakes the modern writer suffers.  I like finding these mistakes in people's writing myself.  Honestly though, I think that it is a little much for a writer to follow all of his rules he outlined.  As you can see, if you've read Orwell, I have already broken these rules.  :-(

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree that language must remain fluid. I once winced at using Facebook as a verb, but we operate on Facebook so often that the verb Facebook has become necessary. I've past professors and graduate students who preferred Facebook for communication. On the second point I also agree. While overall, I'm a supporter of OBAMA, I disagree with his emphasis on math and science. Is making a scientific discovery relevant if the scientist can't communicate effectively in writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took offense to Obama's emphasis on math and science for a few reasons. I once had a math Professor explain to me that those who excel in math will suffer in English, as those who excel in English will suffer in math. It all depends on the side of the brain that is the strongest in each individual, and then to what degree. ALL education should be strongly encouraged for a well balanced country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that if you've broken one of Orwell's rules, that is a good sign that you've...just written more than five sentences in English. I agree with you that the rules are kind of bananas, and I think he may have been a little frustrated when he wrote them.

    Your example of the evolution of the word "disrespect" is a great one. Some would say that the exception proves the rule, but personally I think that the language is ours to shape as the world changes.

    ReplyDelete